Developer: The Game Bakers | Publisher: The Game Bakers | Release: July 5, 2016 | Platform: PS4, XBO, PC
- Every boss character in the game just radiates style, but they also are great because of their unique mechanics designed around the game’s combat system.
- The high, but fair, difficulty of each boss fight makes the thrill of success and mastery all the more rewarding.
- Furi’s gameplay successfully draws inspiration from other character action games such as Devil May Cry and Bayonetta, but its refined focus on only 1v1 combat gives it an identity all its own.
- The visual and audio spectacle of combat is hard hitting and cool.
- The narrative moments are great at building tension before the next boss fight and offering respite after.
- Furi’s story is short and too the point, but it would be nice to see more interactions between the characters of its world.
- Navigating between each boss fight is mechanically awkward if you don’t use the auto walk button.
- Two times during a play through of the game, the game glitched and the screen turned black. This is particularly egregious considering the game is just a series of intense boss fights.
Furi creates its own identity among other great character action games. Fans of the genre will find a lot to love in Furi as it is a textbook example of how thoroughly refined combat can be the backbone of a gameplay experience.
Platform: PS4 | Playtime: 13+ hrs